I often find that at the end of a busy weekend, often involving cooking/baking, rehearsals and all the household chores that need to be done, I just want something simply like egg and chips or similar for dinner. This is a great dish for those nights. It is really simple and quick to make, but has heaps of flavour and with the addition of the beans is very filling. It would also be great for breakfast/brunch as well.
Using chorizo is a great “cheat” to get a heap of flavour without having to add spices to it. These recipes often have capsicum in them, however I don’t actually like capsicum so I have left it out, but you could add it in with the chorizo if you wanted to use it.
Eggs with chorizo, beans and tomatoes
Serves 2-4 (2 for dinner with some leftover sauce/4 as a light snack or brunch)
- One medium sized (approx 150g) chorizo – diced (approximately 1cm pieces)
- 1 onion or 1-2 shallots – finely diced
- 400g can of butter or cannelloni beans (rinsed and drained)
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to season
- crusty bread and coriander (optional) to serve
- You will need a medium – large frying pan with a lid for this recipe. If you don’t have a lid, you will need to finish it off in the oven.
- Heat the frying pan on medium high heat. Add the chorizo and cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to crisp and releases its oil. You shouldn’t need to add any additional oil.
- Once the chorizo has started to go crisp and golden, add the onions/shallots along with a pinch of salt and cook for approximately 5 minutes until they start to soften and brown (timing will depend on how large you cut the onions).
- Once the onions have cooked add the tomatoes and beans. Squash most of the cherry tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon and then simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down a bit more.
- Make four holes in the mix and add an egg into each hole. I like to crack the egg into a small bowl first and then add it to the mix as I find this easier. Cover the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to taste and then serve. You could add some coriander at the end if you wish.
2 thoughts on “Eggs with chorizo, beans and tomatoes”
Great flavor combination 🙂